Atari Tempest Restoration 6 FINAL

Well we are almost at the end of the road with this restoration. Just a couple of things left to do before we can start playing.

On putting the cab back together I noticed a problem with the spinner. The issue was regardless of which way the spinner was spun, the claw on screen only moved left. The small optical board sensors appeared to be malfunctioning. Again, the arcade collecting community came to the rescue – someone had reproduced these parts, and had them available for sale. I ordered one from the USA, and it arrived a few days later. So the spinner assembly had to be stripped down and this part replaced:

Here’s where the old one sits:

3E2C0036-2E6F-4639-8048-19957A965017-41683-000004644311CD48_zps6e761325

Old one removed on the left – replacement on the right:

5C7E865A-80E4-43E2-A3BC-2F259AB7AC1C-41683-0000046448A4958E_zps29dc0456

And here’s the new one in situ. It’s pretty tricky getting the wheel correctly aligned again so that the sensor can do its job, but I got there in the end.

E811F420-E28B-4D48-8EF2-3C84329EDF9C-41683-000004644E204E7A_zpsa782a95b

So that was that. At this point, it’s just a case of rebuilding the cab – the monitor, the power supply, the boards and control panel were all carefully placed back in the cab and hooked up. Check and double check the work, and we were ready to switch on!

BINGO!

4337CE95-E8AA-454E-A829-AFA3F08ABAE0-33233-0000036A86574354_zps75dde778

DA667090-4CEA-4682-B9BB-E0462608864F-33233-0000036A8112A652_zps92250a47

F0296297-6EFF-4453-806F-421368F47F05-33233-0000036A7B81578F_zps87c4874e

F20B3759-0F88-4F9E-B6EE-9E98F34E1790-33233-0000036A75BC1FAF_zps139b2d3c

But I felt there was one thing missing – artwork. All Atari cabarets had sideart designed by Atari, but very few cabs actually had the artwork applied. This was usually because the artworked shipped separately to the cabs, and most operators couldn’t see the point in applying it. This is why you’ll find most Atari cabaret machines without sideart. Recently, the original scans of the art turned up and they have been reprinted from the original – these do come at a hefty cost though – especially if you live in the UK.

As an alternative, I managed to find a hi res scan of the original upright artwork, and got a friend to rework that art into the same shape and size as the cabaret. Sent the file off to a local printer, and they printed it for me on heavy duty white vinyl. I’m really pleased with the result:

EBA90080-8614-4228-9C9E-01B32E4D4372_zpskb5qn6ha

FF4FC1CF-EF57-45F2-9F17-A9E23ABF8310_zpszbl2qevi

Here’s where the machine sits – next to it’s Centipede cousin. (I’ll be documenting that restoration next time round)

8D514D3C-E8D5-4592-9716-F9C3A93466FB_zpslzuf5hbp

If you’ve missed the previous installments of this restoration, just click on “Restoration Archive” at the top of this page.

Thanks for following this restoration – lots more to come!

Tony

One Comment Add yours

  1. Thomas says:

    Totally awesome, also love the game nook.

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s